The blue facia of the China Travel Service and Information Centre fronts the shop that once housed the Gale Cinematograph Hall. Opened in 1910 in premises previously occupied by the Euston Motor Company it was run by Gale and Co., later Gale and Repard, of 90 Charing Cross Road.
The pub on the right of the picture, two doors away, then known as the Rising Sun, is now called the Rocket. This little row of buildings seems to have remained relatively unchanged in the 90 years since the Gale's brief flourishing. Presumably the outbreak of the Great War was the cause of the cinema's closure after only 4 years.